One of my favourite pasta recipes of all time I think. I’ve been making this recipe for years. Before I was vegan I used regular meat Italian sausages and have since just switched to using a vegan substitute.
In the one pictured, I used the Field Roast Italian vegan sausage but I have also used the Beyond Meat Italian sausage (hot and mild) and also the Lightlife gimme lean sausage. All have been equally tasty, use what you have and enjoy, I’m sure you will like it in this dish.
Vegan Pasta Ragu
- food processor or blender
- large pot
- 1 medium onion or 6 green onions
- 1 large carrot
- 2 sticks celery
- 1-2 fresh chillies number and variety based on your tolerance
- 2-4 vegan sausages I used Field Roast Italian sausages
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 500 grams dried penne
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 900 ml diced tomatoes
- fresh basil if available/desired for garnish
- Roughly chop all the vegetables, then puree in the food processor with the chillies (stems removed).1 medium onion, 1 large carrot, 2 sticks celery, 1-2 fresh chillies
- Add the sausages, fennel seeds, oregano and basil. Pulsing until well mixed,2-4 vegan sausages, 2 tsp fennel seeds, 1 tsp dried oregano, 1 tsp dried basil
- Add to hot (med-high heat) frying pan with a tbsp of olive oil.
- Put a large pot of water on to boil for pasta. Salt water well then add the penne and cook according to package instructions,500 grams dried penne
- Add garlic to the sauce mixture and stir in balsamic vinegar and tomatoes. Add water from the pasta to to the sauce to thin as needed.4 cloves garlic, 4 Tbsp balsamic vinegar, 900 ml diced tomatoes
- Reserve about a cup of the water in case it’s needed, Drain the pasta. Add the pasta to the pan of sauce and stir, add enough of the cooking water to bring to desired texture. Garnish with fresh basil if available.fresh basil