No this recipe wasn’t done in the van. Unfortunately my van wasn’t ready to cook in yet when I did this and my van isn’t going to have an oven, at least not to start with.
This did taste very cheezy and was everything I was expecting from such a dish. Does take a fair bit of prep but was definitely worth it.
Scalloped Potatoes and Cauliflower
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup white potato diced
- 1 cup carrot diced
- 1 cup butternut squash diced
- 2 cloves garlic whole
- 4 tbsp non-dairy butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 tbsp flour
- 2 1/2 cups non-dairy milk I used almond
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 to 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 large sweet potato thinly sliced
- 4 medium white potatoes thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1 large red onion thinly sliced
- 1 large cauliflower cut into small florets
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 bag Gardein Beefless Ground
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- In a medium pot, bring about 4 cups of water to a boil with the salt.
- Add diced potato, carrot, butternut squash and whole garlic to boiling water. Cook for approx 10 minutes util soft. Don’t continue to boil after soft or potatoes with get gritty. When cooked, drain but reserve the water
- Mean while in large frying pan over med-high heat, add the non-dairy butter and minced garlic. Saute for couple minutes.
- Add flour to stir well to form a roux.
- Slowly add about 1/2 of the boiling water while stirring to incorporate.
- Add non-dairy milk and stir.
- Add mixture from frying pan to a blender along with boiled items and the remainder of the sauce ingredients. Blend until smooth. Adding enough of the remaining boiling (what you boiled in, not currently boiling) water to thin it so it will pour easily and flow through the filling.
- In a large roasting pan.
- Make layers of: Half of the white potato, half of the sweet potato, red onion, Beefless ground, half of the cauliflower
- At this point I added some of the sauce to ensure that it made it to the bottom, maybe about a 1/3 of it.
- Continue with layers of remaining: White potato, sweet potato, white onion, spinach, cauliflower
- Pour the rest of the sauce evenly over filling
- sprinke/cover with breadcrumbs
- Cover with foil and place on middle rack for about 45 minutes.
- Uncover and bake another 10 or so minutes allowing top to brown a bit.